Finding Cheap Flights
When one decides that they are going to take a trip somewhere, one of the first things that they usually consider, is the flight. Typically, this is one of the more grandiose expenses travelers incur; however, it does not have to be. In fact, finding cheap flights is easier than you might think. You just need to keep a few things in mind.
3 Easy Tips for Finding Cheap Flights
- Be flexible. Flexibility is probably the most crucial aspect for the budget-conscious traveler. A traveler needs to be open to different airports, different times and dates, and not be too picky on the airline. For example, one might be able to save a few hundred dollars by choosing an alternate city a bit farther from them. To get there, they can take a cheap bus ride or a short domestic flight.
- Use a good search engine. The search engine that I use is Kayak.com. I am in strong support of using Kayak as I have found some incredible deals with them over the years. I choose them mainly because of their features that I have grown accustomed to using. For example, you can easily search multiple airports by typing more than one in either the departure or destination box. (I.e. BCN, LON, ROM to MEL, SYD) Be sure to use a comma between airport codes.
- Search the best days. Flights tend to be cheaper if you are willing to fly during the beginning of the week. For instance, taking a flight on a Monday or Tuesday instead of a Thursday or Friday will likely yield cheaper flights. In my opinion, Monday and Tuesday are the best days to fly because fewer people are flying versus a weekend where there is far more demand.
I have more thoughts on flights in my travel articles section on ‘cheap flights’, however, I wanted to make a simplified update. I have used the tips above, along with a few others, and have found some fantastic flight deals in the past. Recently, I missed a flight home from Dublin. I looked for many days for airports near or around Dublin. I searched London, Amsterdam, Paris, Berlin, Rome, and others, but nothing yielded a good deal. In fact, all the one-way flights that I found were more than the cost of my original round trip from Boston to Dublin. Then, I searched from Lisbon, Portugal to either Montreal and Toronto, Canada (My goal was to get to Boston). I found a flight for $230 from Lisbon to Montreal just by being a bit flexible.
As a result, I got to see Portugal (I took a cheap RyanAir flight to Porto). I got to see Montreal, then took two buses to Boston (I visited Vermont and New Hampshire on the way). Thus, I was able to see a few more great places just by being flexible in that I did not care exactly which airport or provider I flew with.
What is it to You
Many times I have been told by people how much it costs to fly to certain places. I have always been able to find better deals using the tips listed above. Give it a try. Tell me how it works out for you.
- Start early – This is one tip that is good if you have the time, but it is not 100% necessary. It is a nice bonus if you have a few weeks or months to look before your intended date of departure, but you can find cheap flights a few days before a flight.
- Know that other options are available to you. You can find cheap bus tickets to other major airports. You can find rides to other airports. You can find a cheap flight to a cheap flight. Use the other methods available to you.
- Try and compare search engines for flights. Skyscanner.net, Momondo.com, FlyEurope.com, Statravel.com, Bing.com are other examples of sites that offer cheap flights.
- List of low-cost airline carriers -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_low-cost_airlines
- Map showing which routes between cities are direct or indirect (Provided by Skyscanner.com) Link: http://www.skyscanner.com/cheap-flights-map
Hope these tips help you in your future flights. Feel free to ask me if you have any questions about finding a cheap flight, I would be glad to help. Let me know how your flight searches go.
How do you find cheap flights?
Hey there amigo! If you found my article useful and think that others will too, please take a moment to share and connect with me on social media! I’d appreciate it!